MAPs I for Daily Living
6 Saturdays 9-11am Jan 13th - Feb 17th, 2018
LOCATION: Toluca Lake Tennis Club, 6711 Forest Lawn Dr., Suite 104, Los Angeles, CA 90068. Located across from Warner Brothers Studios and conveniently near the 134 and 101 Freeways in the San Fernando Valley, minutes from Hollywood, Burbank, Glendale, and Studio City. There is plenty of street parking as well as on two levels of parking lots.
Standard Enrollment: $200
UCLA Staff Discount: $165
UCLA Students w/ ID: $65*
*Must show UCLA student ID card at 1st class
Each class is a combination of lecture, practice, and group feedback and discussion.
MAPs is taught in a context of a supportive community environment with classes no larger than 30-40 students. Students report that the group support was one of the most helpful and inspiring aspects of the class.
- The class meets weekly for two hours per week for six weeks
- Students complete daily home practice meditation assignments starting at five minutes a day and working up to 20 minutes daily by the end of the course.
- Students receive a complimentary Home Practice CD
- Students receive a copy of the book Fully Present: The Science, Art, and Practice of Mindfulness by Susan Smalley, PhD. and Diana Winston.
- Overview of Mindfulness
- Mindfulness of the Body
- Obstacles to Mindfulness
- Mindfulness to help with Physical Pain
- Working with Difficult Emotions
- Cultivating Positive Emotions
- Working with Difficult Thoughts
- Mindful Interactions
The class series offers a variety of mindfulness practices so that the student can discover which practice is useful to them. Practices taught include:
· Sitting meditation · Walking meditation
· Eating meditation · Standing meditation
· Daily life meditations · Movement meditation
· Relational mindfulness · Practices to develop positive emotions
Who should take this class?
This course is an excellent introduction to mindfulness for beginners. MAPs class lays the foundation for a daily meditation practice and provides insight into the basics of mindfulness and how it can be applied to daily life. It is also appropriate for an experienced practitioner who wishes to revitalize his/her practice. MAPs is helpful for people of all backgrounds and religions.
These classes are suitable for ages 16 and over.
Continuing Education Units (CEU)
MAPS are an excellent introduction to mindfulness for clinicians, who are welcome to take it for credit. To receive CEUs, clinicians must take a seventh 2-hour class-Clinical Applications of Mindfulness.
To learn more about earning CEU's for MAPs I attendance, click here:
Refund and Cancellation Policy
Refunds requested prior to two weeks before the first day of class will be assessed a $25 administrative fee. We regret that we cannot give refunds after this date. Refunds should be requested by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MARC reserves the right to cancel classes due to low enrollment. Registrants will be notified in advance of the class.
No refunds or credits are given to registrant "no-shows".
Postponing a Class: Credit towards a future class will be provided if a registrant notifies us by phone or email in advance of 5PM on Friday of the first week of the class series. Future class must the one immediately following the missed class series. NO EXCEPTIONS. (for example: if postponing a May/June class series you will have to use your credit and enroll in the July/August class series)
Make-up Class: If you miss a class, you may make up ONE class in any other class at your level during the current series or the series immediately following. No refund or prorate will be issued for missed classes.